THIS ARTICLE IS JUST CONFIRMING, FROM A DIFFERENT FONT, WHAT WE ALREADY PUBLISHED ON OCTOBER 11 (Terrorists & mercenaries in Syria, financed by private Gulf donors, carried out mass killings (+Video Report by HRW).
THE QUESTION IS: WHERE THE HRW’S MEMBERS WERE UNTIL NOW?!? JUST FEW MONTHS AGO THEY DECLARED A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE REALITY, MORE CLOSE TO THE OFFICIAL AMERICAN VERSION (Mc Cain docet). NOW THEY HAVE CHANGED THEIR POSITION, AT THE SAME TIME THAT THE AMERICANS AND THEIR “REBELS” ARE LOOSING GROUND. VERY VERY SUSPICIOUS…(we can not forget the position of HRW in Libya in support of NATO aggression & bombing, so that we might be led to consider HRW as a tool in the hands of certain powers) BUT ANYWAY… BETTER LATER THAN NEVER.
(the editor of sfp)
‘Human Rights Watch’ has come out with a long overdue statement regarding the crimes against humanity and war crimes that the so called ‘rebels’ in Syria have been committing for nearly 3 years now! Congratulations HRW!
HRW has called for an arms embargo against responsible parties. They also say “the individuals or countries that are supporting these groups are now on notice about the types of violations that they are committing, and could be complicit in war crimes and crimes against humanity if they continue to support them.”
WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES. Human Rights Watch video on the claims of civilian killings in Lattakia.
Human Rights Watch says militant groups slaughtered villagers and took others hostage in attacks on Lattakia in August
Syrian rebels killed at least 190 civilians and took more than 200 hostage during an offensive in Latakia province in August, Human Rights Watch said on Friday, in what it calls the first evidence of crimes against humanity by opposition forces.
HRW said many of the dead had been executed by militant groups, some linked to al-Qaida, who overran army positions at dawn on 4 August and then moved into 10 villages nearby where members of President Bashar al-Assad’s Alawite sect lived.
In its first government-sanctioned trip into Syria during the two-and-a-half year conflict, New York-based HRW has documented a series of sectarian mass killings by Assad’s foes during a broader campaign in which Western-backed rebels took part.
In some cases, entire families were executed or gunned down as they fled, according to the HRW report You Can Still See Their Blood.
HRW identified five rebel groups instrumental to funding, organising, planning and carrying out the Latakia attacks, including the al-Qaida-linked Jabhat al-Nusra and Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant groups, as well as the Islamist group Ahrar al-Sham and another unit of foreign jihadi fighters.
These groups publicised their involvement through videos and statements, some of which were used to corroborate the HRW report. The operation appeared to have been largely financed by private Gulf-based donors, HRW said.
What is less clear is the role of fighters from the Free Syrian Army (FSA), the armed wing of the main opposition coalition which is openly supported by the United States, Britain, France and Sunni Muslim Gulf states.
In a video posted on 11 August and apparently filmed in Latakia, FSA chief Salim Idriss said the organisation was taking part in the offensive “to a great extent”.
But HRW researcher Lama Fakih, who spent several days in Latakia province in September and spoke to residents, soldiers, militiamen, doctors and officials, said she could not confirm whehter the FSA were present on the day the atrocities took place.
Assad’s forces are also accused by rights groups of committing atrocities and using incendiary and cluster bombs in populated areas. They have carried out sectarian attacks, including killing up to 450 civilians in two massacres in mainly Sunni Muslim areas in May, according to United Nations officials.
The opposition and rights groups accuse Damascus of a chemical weapons strike in a Damascus suburb on 21 August that killed hundreds of civilians. The government blames the attack on rebels.
Reuters was unable to get comment from all 20 rebel groups mentioned in the HRW report. Syrian National Coalition spokesman Khaled Saleh said the SNC condemned all human rights abuses and if any had been committed by rebels affiliated with the coalition, they would face justice.
In a written statement to Reuters, Saleh said: “We have previously committed ourselves to applying these rules on all the brigades that work for us and we will hold accountable, after investigation and fair trial, all those responsible for violations against human rights or international laws. The incidents in Latakia are not an exception and we will treat them as we treated previous cases.”
A member of the Sunni Islamist Ahrar al-Sham said its fighters had killed no civilians in the offensive.
“If someone uses a weapon against you, you have to fight them. If they do not, you must not kill them,” said Abu Muhammed al-Husseini, the 30-year-old head of Ahrar al-Sham’s political office in Raqqa.
Lama Fakih, the Syria and Lebanon researcher in HRW’s Middle East and North Africa division, told Reuters in reference to the Latakia operation by rebels: “Homes were destroyed and burned. Most villagers had not returned.”
Fakih met Hassan Shebli, an Alawite man from the village of Barouda, who fled his village at 4.30am on 4 August as rebels approached. He left his wife, who was in her 60s and needed canes to walk, and his son, 23, who was paralysed, Fakih said.
Shebli said they were both killed and buried behind his house. Fakih visited the house and saw bullet holes in the son’s bed frame. “I was able to see the blood splattered on the wall,” she said, showing a picture of the room.
Rebel footage posted on the internet showed images of Shebli’s son and wife with rebel fighters during the operation.
The scale and organisation of the attacks on civilians suggested premeditation and made them a crime against humanity, HRW said, rather than isolated war crimes reported during the Syrian civil war. The United Nations says the conflict has killed more than 100,000 people.
“These abuses were not the actions of rogue fighters,” said Joe Stork, acting Middle East director at HRW. “This operation was a co-ordinated, planned attack on the civilian population in these Alawite villages.”
Residents who returned to the villages said they found bodies of their neighbours on the streets and in their homes, as well as in piles of burnt corpses and in mass graves, Fakih said.
Syria’s mainly Sunni Muslim rebels are battling to overthrow Assad, whose Alawite sect is an offshoot of Shia Islam and accounts for about 12% of Syria’s 23 million people.
The Latakia offensive ended on 18 August, when the government regained control of the area. Rebels told Reuters in August that about 200 of Assad’s men were killed at the start of the offensive.
Reported By the Guardian