Tags

, , , , , , , , ,

Ahmed-Moaz-al-Khatib

Syria ‘opposition’ calls for direct talks with Assad government.

A ‘senior’ Syrian ‘opposition’ figure has asked for direct talks with the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to end the crisis in the Arab country.

“It is in the Syrian people’s interest for us to sit down together once and for all, and to find a way to save the people from this pain and suffering,” AFP quoted the former leader of the so-called Syrian National Coalition opposition, Ahmed Moaz al-Khatib, as saying on Tuesday.

After 4 years of terrorist attacks and massacres of civilians and Syrian military conscripts, this clown, in the American payroll, realizes the ‘suffering’ of the Syrian people, inflicted by his own henchmen… Buffoon!!! The only agreement that Damascus might deal with you is the one on the diameter of the rope to be used to hang yourself!!!
(SFP editors)

.

.

Khatib resigned on 21 April, 2013, in protest against the institutional limitations of the foreign-backed body. Following Khatib’s resignation, George Sabra was named the president of the opposition group.

Despite previous calls by opposition groups for Assad’s immediate resignation, the prominent opposition figure said any possible deal resulting from the talks could stipulate that the Syrian president remain in power temporarily.

“We want to solve the problem, because the problem now affects each and every Syrian… The regime is suffering, the opposition is suffering and the people are suffering,” he added.

“Of course (Assad) has to leave,” Khatib said, adding, “But the idea that his mandate would finish on a given date, this idea could make sense.”

Delegates from the Syrian government and foreign-backed opposition had their latest talks, dubbed the Geneva II conference on Syria, in the Swiss town of Montreux on January 22. It was aimed at finding a political solution to the crisis in the Arab country.

The opposition and its Western supporters insist that Assad must step down and a transitional government be formed in Syria. However, Damascus has rejected the demand, arguing that the foreign-backed coalition does not represent the Syrian opposition.

Syria has been grappling with a deadly crisis since March 2011. The violence fueled by Takfiri groups has so far claimed the lives of over 200,000 people, according to reports.

The Western powers and their regional allies – especially Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Turkey – are reportedly supporting the militants operating inside Syria.

~

~

SOURCES:

The real SyrianFreePress.NETwork
submitted at
https://syrianfreepress.wordpress.com/?p=39598

~

NOTE: The contents of this article/speech are of sole responsibility of the author(s). The team and the editor of SyrianFreePress.NETwork do not necessarily subscribe every point of view expressed and are not be responsible for any inaccurate or incorrect statement in this article.

.~

SCROLL DOWN TO READ OR LEAVE COMMENTS

~