, , , , , , , , , ,


Iran Blasts Presence of Terrorist Leaders
in Geneva Talks on Syria

(FNA, 18/3/2016) ~ Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian criticized participation of infamous terrorist leaders in Geneva talks on Syria.

Amir Abdollahian made the remarks in phone talks with UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura on Friday.

He described presence of the leaders of terrorist groups at the negotiations table in Geneva as harmful.

Amir Abdollahian, meantime, appreciated de Mistura’s efforts to settle the crisis in Syria politically, and underlined the necessity for focusing on Syrian-Syrian talks.

Hossein Amir Abdollahian

De Mistura, for his part, lauded Iran’s efforts in fighting against terrorism and its support for settling the crisis in Syria politically, and said despite the challenges, the trend of Geneva talks are positive and they will continue by next Tuesday.

The Syrian peace talks have hit their first logjams, as disputes erupted over the composition of delegations to the talks and a Kurdish call to form a federal Syria with a semi-autonomous Kurdish region in the North of the country.

The idea of a federal Syria was rejected outright on Tuesday by Bashar al-Jaafari, the leader of the Syrian government delegation, who also said he would not talk directly to the main Syrian opposition delegation because it included people he considered terrorist murderers.

He said a future federal Syria, proposed on Wednesday by Kurdish groups, was doomed to fail. Kurds had been part of Syria for centuries, he said.

Speaking after his second round of talks with UN officials, Jaafari also rejected suggestions he was under any pressure from Russia to compromise in the talks as a result of the surprise partial withdrawal of troops announced by Vladimir Putin at the start of the Geneva talks on Monday.

With the phased withdrawal continuing on Wednesday, he said all such decisions about Russian troop movements, including partial withdrawals, were agreed jointly with the Russian government.

“The Russian decision to withdraw partially from Syria was taken jointly by a common decision, taken both by President Putin and President Assad. So it wasn’t a surprise for us,” Jaafari said.

Jaafari also dismissed the Syrian opposition negotiating team as a “terrorist Saudi delegation headed by a murderer”.


No Full List of Participants of Intra-Syrian Talks Prepared Yet

There is still no full list of participants of the intra-Syrian talks, head of the Syrian government’s delegation Bashar Jaafari told Sputnik on Wednesday

(SputnikNews) ~ No full list of participants of the intra-Syrian talks has been announced yet:

“Another very important element with regard to the format of the talks is a full list of participants. We do not have a full list of participants after spending four days in Geneva and engaging into two sessions of talks with the [UN] Special Envoy [for Syria Staffan de Mistura],” Jaafari said.

Fars News Agency
Sputnik News
Submitted by SyrianPatriots 
War Press Info Network at:
Re-publications are welcome, but we kindly ask you,
to facilitate the correct information's diffusion,
to cite all these original links and sources.

NOTE: The contents of the articles, speeches or comments on this page are of sole responsibility of their authors. The team and the editorial staff of SyrianFreePress do not necessarily subscribe every point of view expressed and are not responsible for any inaccurate, incorrect or offensive statement in this article. Complaints and corrections (verifiable) will be welcomed and accepted. Copyright owners can notify their claims to us, and the verified contents will be removed.